Thursday, July 23, 2009

Week 2 EOC: Me as the Consumer

From combat boots to high heels, I am a unique demographic that combines a mixture of athletic and luxurious tastes. I served two years of active duty in the U.S. Air Force. For the first year that I served, I was not allowed to wear any clothes other than those that were issued to me. I was also not allowed to watch movies or listen to music. I was rarely allowed to leave base. This had a definitive impact on my spending habits. My money was then spent on experiences. When I could leave base, I focused on the experiences I could have. I attended concerts, shows, and went to dinner with friends. These events took the place of material items. Consequently, I noticed that my relationships improved with the people around me. I took more stock in how my money could add enjoyment to my lifestyle. Cash provided me with a gateway to escape the pressures and demands of my military life.

After two years of service, I decided to trade the camouflage for lace, silk, and cashmere. Now as a fashion student, my focus is on the art and beauty that is created through clothing. I very rarely spend money on experiences any longer. My money is taken by boutiques, retailers, and thrift stores. I’m ashamed to say that I have skipped meals in favor of purchasing a 1960’s vintage Lilli Diamond cocktail dress. This is not something I take joy in sharing. As Carrie Bradshaw stated on Sex and the City, “I like my money right where I can see it-hanging in my closet.” This is what my life has become. As I write this post, I am contemplating how I got to this place in my life. Of course I love the beauty that has come from the clothing I have purchased, but the question remains; have I let those clothes purchase me?

No comments:

Post a Comment